One of the most unusual features of the Jabez Bacon House is the intact and unmodernized outbuilding we affectionately call “The Cabin”, or more recently the Summer Kitchen. The Marvins, previous owners to the Griswolds, chose to call it the “Slave Quarters”, part of an odd and unpleasant romanticizing of the Colonial period. Bacon did have at least one indentured servant, Matthew Lyon, and probably others as well, and as such he owned him for the period of his indenture. However, he does not appear to ever have owned slaves as we understand slavery today: life-long capture and use of people of African descent. Bacon’s probate record of 1805 refers to a “Wash House” on the property. The building probably had several different functions over its long life.
James Sexton, an eminent architectural historian, did an assessment of the building for us in 2007. Click on the link to see it. Note that some of the photographs are turned on their sides. We weren’t able to do anything about that.